Wednesday 15 January 2020

Al óleo (2019)

English title: Oil on Canvas

Director: Pablo Lavado

Stars: Sarah Benavente, Chico García, Juan Antonio Hidalgo...

Genres: Drama

Country: Spain

Summary: María, a young student of Fine Arts, decides to spend a weekend with Julio, her partner, in the house of her parents' town. Once there, the young woman will have to face a reality already forgotten. The solid mentality of her family means that practically nothing has changed in the life of his brother Hugo and his father, Arturo.

IMDb classified this movie as a comedy. I don't know about you, but I didn't laugh that much. Apart from that one scene where the trio was coming home drunk after a night out, talking, laughing... Yeah, that was cute, but it's still not a comedy as far as I'm concerned. The character of María was a distraction to me. She had some nice remarks about feminism, but other than that nothing special about her. It's obviously not something I was looking for as I'm interested in m/m romance and a big part of the movie features her in the spotlight. Her boyfriend, though, that's more like it. One sexy hunk right there :D

As you can see from the summary, María comes home to spend a weekend with her family, but there are some quarrels between her and her father mostly because of generational differences and different mentality. I was curious to see whether or not her father would show some homosexual tendencies toward one of the other guys in the movie because there were certain parts where he was just lingering around, showering or looking at himself in the mirror and I thought that's indicative of something, but I was wrong as that didn't happen. Oops. Just my dirty mind again.

The only gay part about this movie is a hint of a forbidden/secret romance between two cousins. One of them is in a relationship with a woman and is expecting a child. There's nothing explicit about it though, apart from some hidden glances and some kissing in the pool at the very end of the movie. This whole romance aspect between them is not very highlighted so I wouldn't call this movie a romance. It's more of a slice-of-life of certain people living their lives in modern-day Spain.

I don't know what else to say about this one. It wasn't anything special. It has cute and handsome actors, nice visuals and a certain lazy summer day atmosphere. If you like that kind of movies, go for it, but for me personally it was too mild and slow-paced so it didn't leave that much of an impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment