Monday 10 February 2020

Fin de siglo (2019)

English title: End of the Century

Director: Lucio Castro 

Stars: Juan Barberini, Ramon Pujol, Mía Maestro

Genre: Drama, Romance

Country: Argentina

Summary: Two men meet in Barcelona and after spending a day together they realize that they have already met twenty years ago.

This was a weird movie. It starts with Ocho (the main character) traveling alone, sightseeing, touring the city, going to a beach... On a beach he encounters a guy and they have some eye-contact, are interested in each other, but nothing happens. Ocho returns back to his apartment and goes out on his balcony only to find the guy from the beach strolling by his apartment. He invites him up and they have sex. It happens so casually. I keep wondering how far away from that kind of interaction I am in my own life, to invite someone to my apartment just like that and be so relaxed with a stranger... That's strange to me.

After talking for a bit, they exchange numbers, hug and it's all pretty cute. Later they go out together and start talking about their lives. Ocho is recently single and enjoying his alone time traveling the world... Maybe it's supposed to portray a sense of freedom and liberation, but to me it just seemed very lonely and isolating, very common for a figure of a 21st century man, I would say. Javi (the other guy) is in an open marriage as he says, the couple even adopted a baby. And then we find an interesting information: they already met before some 20 years ago. The thing I kept thinking after they showed how they met: how could anyone possibly forget an encounter like that? Javi remember Ocho, but Ocho doesn't remember Javi. I wasn't buying it.

Then in the end we have an alternate timeline showing us Ocho and Javi as a couple having a baby. I have no idea what was that supposed to mean. Is it really an alternate universe, like a fairy tale ending of them and what they could have achieved together? Or is it actually connected to other two timelines present... The thing that popped into my mind was: maybe it was them all along. Maybe they became a couple, married and eventually their relationship got boring so they wanted to reinvent their meeting and initiate new sparks so they split up for a while and then met again at the very place they first met and role played some new lives they could've lead so that they could fall in love again? I know it probably sounds stupid, but it just popped into my mind as I watched the movie and I wanted to write it down.

I didn't expect this movie to be so complex. The different (and possibly alternate) timelines were pretty confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment