Saturday 15 February 2020

Genèse (2018)

English title: Genesis

Director: Philippe Lesage

Stars: Noée Abita, Paul Ahmarani, Marc Beaupré...

Genre: Drama


Country: Canada


Summary: Three teenagers are shaken up by their first loves in the turmoil of their youth. At a time when others are conforming, they stand their ground and assert their right to love and be free.

When I started watching this movie, I didn't expect three different stories that aren't connected to each other. Maybe they are connected by a theme or an idea that they're sharing, but it's actually three short movies in one, not a one whole movie for those of you still wondering.

So, what is this about? As the summary says, it's about three young people (one of them literally a child) searching for love and acceptance. Each of them is going through different things. First story is of a guy coming to terms with his sexuality. The second story is about a girl that, after her boyfriend said he wanted more free space to maybe experiment with other people, felt hurt by that and wanted to distance herself from him as she didn't feel the same amount of security in their relationship anymore. At least that's how I interpreted it. She dumps the boyfriend and goes out into the world trying to find what she needs, only to return to him after getting hurt even worse and disappointed at how it went for her with other people. The third story I didn't even try to follow as it was completely not interesting to me. As for what I've seen, it's about a young boy falling in love with a girl for the first time in a summer camp.

So, there's that. The first story was the most interesting to me by its theme since it corresponds to this blog. But it's nothing special. There's no romance, nothing happens. The main character is very brave so he confessed to his crush in front of the whole class (though I wonder if that was necessary) and it went well. No bullying, bashing or other horrible things so that was definitely positive. But we can slowly see how the people are starting to distance themselves from him because of his confession. And then the movie ends. Just like that. They all do. We have no idea what happens to the characters after what they go through, there's no sense of closure. It may annoy some viewers, but it's certainly not the first movie to do this and some of you may be even used to that kind of endings by now.

The second story was okay even though there's no gay theme present. I already said everything you need to know about it. What I need to add is that this second movie has a rape scene in it. It's of course unpleasant and certainly didn't make me like the movie more.

Other than all of this, I think the soundtrack was interesting and I recognized a song I like in there.

So, there you go. If I knew all of this before, I probably wouldn't watch the movie as it's not what I'm looking for currently. I like my movies to be more concentrated on romance. Based on the pictures, it looked like this movie had the potential for that, but it was a different concept than what I had in mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment